The UGW9811, a unified packet gateway independently developed by Huawei, can be used in GPRS, UMTS, and EPC networks. The UGW9811 can function as a gateway GPRS support node (GGSN), serving gateway (S-GW), PDN gateway (P-GW), or any combination of these three roles, and can be managed individually.
In the mobile network, the UGW9811 provides the following functions when acted as GGSN/S-GW/P-GW:
- Acting as an interface to an external PDN: The UGW9811 acts as a gateway for MSs to access an external PDN. The GGSN exchanges routing information for an external PDN. The UGW9811 serves as a router for all IP addresses of users in the GPRS/UMTS/EPC network.
- Session management: The GGSN sets up communication between MSs and external PDNs.
- Mobility management: The UGW9811 acts as a serving-gateway, support Local mobility anchor point for inter-eNodeB handover.
- Data receiving and processing: The GGSN receives data from MSs and routes the data to an external PDN. The GGSN also receives data from the external PDN, and selects a path in the GPRS/UMTS network to forward the data according to the destination address. Then, the GGSN sends the data to the SGSN.
- Abundant charging functions: The GGSN provides the functions of normal charging, hot billing, content-based charging, and online charging.
- Service awareness: Service awareness (SA) is an application layer-based traffic inspection and control technique. The SA technique has wide applications in areas such as flow-based charging (FBC), bandwidth control, service report, security protection.